Are Monarch Butterflies Toxic?

Fall has come over most of the U.S. states and with that comes our beautiful monarch butterflies eating to gain strength for their Mexican flight over winter.

As each butterfly drinks their selected nectar of  milk weed, they gain in toxic strength to dogs and cats.  Milk weed is a known toxin for dogs and cats.  The problem lies in a toxic flying object which draws them to jump in anticipation of a sweet snack.

Keeping in mind that the more you attract Monarchs to your yard with butterfly bushes and similar landscaping, it will bring that toxic possibilities closer to your beloved pets.  Some of the common signs of toxicity to watch for are:

  • vomiting
  • drooling with nausea
  • weakness or collapsing
  • dilated pupils
  • tremors
  • seizures
  • abnormal heart rate
  • death
Advertisements

One thought on “Are Monarch Butterflies Toxic?

  1. I dog for the first time which happens to be a long-haired Chihuahua just consumed her first tiny monarch butterfly before I could take it out of her mouth. Do you think she’ll be OK ?

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s